In the middle of the 17th century, Mr Leblanc, Magistrate and Councillor at the Parliament of Bordeaux, owned the domain of Mauvesin. The domain included land in the parish of Moulis, where Mauvezin Château was located, and in the parish of Listrac.
The Listrac part of the Mauvezin fief is at the origin of Chateau Fonréaud. The ambition of Councillor Leblanc de Mauvezin was to create a vast winegrowing estate on the best winelands of his fief. With the advice of a master winemaker, Jean Fillot, also known as the "Gavatch" (the man from the North), he had vines planted on the slopes of Pey de Menjon and Font-Réaux, where he built his cellars. The renowned outcrops have been home to vineyards ever since.
The records used by Claude Masse for his map of Guyenne show that at the beginning of the 18th century, almost all the Chateau Fonréaud terroirs were planted with vines. In the Intendance classification of 1776, we find Leblanc de Mauvezin as the leading growth of the Listrac parish, at a price of 350 to 400 Livres per cask, at the same level as the 4th classified growths of the parishes of Pauillac (Lynch, D’Armailhac…) and Saint-Julien (St. Pierre…).
A century later, in the first editions of the Féret, the Leblanc de Mauvezin family still owned its two growths in Listrac and Moulis, which were still ranked first in order of merit. The consequences of the Disease Crisis at the end of the 19th century put an end to the dynasty which had taken Chateau Fonréaud to the top rank of Listrac growths for more than two centuries and to whom we owe the elegant château we know today.