[../thechateau/the-chanfreau-family.html]
[../thechateau/more-information.html]
[../anglais-fonreaud/accueil.html]
[./vineyars.html]
[./cellars.html]
[./wines.html]
[./news.html]
[./photos.html]
[./shop.html]
[./legalinfos.html]
[./thechateau-family-next.html]
[../version-allemande-fonreaud/index.html]
[../index.html]
[./the-chateau.html]
[./contact.html]
[./press2013.html]
[Web Creator] [LMSOFT]
The name Fonréaud, that stems from a legend, as well as the location of the property on the rooftop of the Médoc, make this estate exceptional.

"Fonréaud", called "Font-réaux" in centuries gone by, means "Royal Fountain". Legend has it that in the 12th century, the King of England and husband of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry II Plantagenet, stopped here to quench his thirst and drank from a spring of cool water. The spring still exists in our park today.

The cellars were built in the 17th century, then modified over time. The Château replaced the original farm building when then owner Henri Le Blanc de Mauvezin decided to build it in 1850.

The Château was built to the plans of Bordeaux architect Garros and completed in 1855. Its very elegant architecture appeals to visitors.
In 1962, Léo Chanfreau, who had been a winemaker in Algeria, returned to France with his family. He visited many wineries, and fell in love with Fonréaud. There was a lot of work to be done: the vineyard covered only 17 hectares of very old vines and the venerable oak barrels in the fermentation cellar were doomed to destruction.

Léo enthusiastically embraced the new challenge. He replanted the vines, built a concrete fermentation cellar, that we still use today, and undertook major work in the château.
He did not live to finish his work, as he was the victim of a tractor accident in 1970. His father, Marcel Chanfreau, who lived at Château Lestage, took over until Jean, who was only a child when his father died, qualified as an agronomy engineer and came to live in Listrac.

Jean Chanfreau became the manager of the estate in 1978, at the age of 20. He moved to Fonréaud in 1981. In 1985, the work to finish the château and optimise the vineyard began. It took six years, during which the birth of four children, Guillaume (1984), Loïc (1986), Tiphaine (1987) and Juliette (1991), added to the joy of Jean and his wife Marie-Hélène.